St Andrews Hospital - 1940 to Present Day
St Andrews Hospital become part of the Emergency Medical Services at the outbreak of World War II and was allocated seven prefabricated huts. Five were used as wards and two for staff accommodation. War casualties from the services and the civilian population received treatment on the wards.
When the NHS was founded in 1948, St Andrews was managed by the Tilbury and South East Essex Hospital Management committee. During the 1950s and 1960s the hospital expanded to include physiotherapy, pharmacy, pathology, maternity, occupational therapy, x-ray, outpatients, the WRVS canteen and the League of Friends all flourished.
St Andrews become the Regional Plastic Surgery and Rehabilitation Unit following the opening of a new general hospital in Basildon. These units opened in May 1973.
A Day Hospital, designed by Mr F.G. Frizzell, was opened in 1977 for care and treatment of geriatric patients. And in 1982, the Regional Burns Unit was officially opened by the Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Kent. The North East Thames Burns Unit Appeal, plastic surgeons from St Andrews and the enthusiasm of the public raised more than £400,000 towards the cost of this new burns unit.
By the early 1990s the hospital buildings were in need of extensive redevelopment and after long negotiations on 1st April 1995 the St. Andrews Centre become part of the Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust. The first removal vans arrived at St Andrews Hospital in April 1998 and the first batch of staff were transferred to new quarters at Broomfield Hospital. The remaining hospital buildings made way for a new housing development.