Role Title: Macmillan Information and Support volunteer
Reporting to (title): Macmillan Information and Support Service Manager
Department: Directorate of Clinical Oncology, Haematology and Related Services
Location: MEHT NHS Trust – Macmillan Info Pod
To assist the Information Team in the operation of the Information Service across all settings helping us provide information, support and advice to people living with and beyond cancer, the bereaved or those worried about someone who is. The service is delivered across various care settings including MEHT NHS Trust; Farleigh Hospice and in the community.
To assist the Macmillan Information and Support team in providing an information and support service to people living with and beyond cancer within the Macmillan Information Service Pod. This will include:
- Meeting and greeting visitors to the Information Pod
- Offering a listening ear and informal support
- Assessing information and support needs, both face to face and over the telephone
- Providing basic information
- Signposting to the appropriate resources
- Displaying, organising and re-ordering information resources
- Keeping appropriate records e.g. by filling in a form for each enquiry
- Participating in a rota
- Willingness to be flexible
Knowledge and skills required
Sensitive yet assertive, effective communication techniques, flexible and supportive, show empathy and initiative, and aware of the need for confidentiality.
At no point is a volunteer to provide any clinical care to patients or take on tasks that are the main duty of a paid worker. The aim of the role is to enhance the patient experience and ensure they have the appropriate information and support at a time when needed.