About robotic surgery at Mid
Mid Essex Hospitals has always had a leading role toplay in the field of robotic surgery, a pathfinder, goingback to the first use of a surgical robot in early 2009.
The Trust is also home to the only robotic surgery centre in the county, and at the time of receiving the first robot, was one of only 15 across the country performing this type of surgery. We are proud of our reputation within this clinical field, and are determined to continue to lead the way.
About the technology
Robotic surgery allows surgeons to operate with precise movements, making a few small incisions, using magnified 3D high-definition screens with tiny instruments that bend and rotate at a level that is far greater than that of a human hand, allowing greater precision and control.
The state-of-the-art robot uses the latest advances in technology to cut and manipulate tissue in the same way as a surgeon would when carrying out open surgery. But unlike the surgeon, the robot does this through a tiny hole. Our surgical teams are also able to use da Vinci's extended vision, higher magnification and unparalleled 3D imagery to enable even greater precision in their work.
Procedures we carry out by using the robot
- Pyeloplasty (the surgical reconstruction or revision of the renal pelvis to drain and decompress the kidney)
- Nephrectomy (surgical removal of the kidney)
- Partial Nephrectomy (removal of a tumour on the kidney).
Upper GI (Gastrointestinal)
- Gastric Pacing
- Heller Myotomy.
- Procedures for Rectal and Colon Cancer
- We offer a variety of operations for Rectal Prolapse and Colon Cancer, Internal/External Rectal Prolapse, Pelvic Organ Prolapse
- Robotic Ventral Mesh Rectopexy
- Penneal Hernia.
Benefits from robotic surgery
Robot-assisted surgery offers greater surgical precision, increased range of motion, improved dexterity,
enhanced visualisation, and improved access. But what does this mean for our patients?
- A shorter hospital stay
- Less pain
- Lower risk of infection
- Less blood loss
- Fewer transfusions
- Less scarring
- Faster recovery meaning a quicker return to normal daily activities.